I’ve been doing a lot of writing and speaking about how the 4-day week can play a role in helping companies reopen safely and more quickly, and give them the resilience and organizational creativity necessary to respond more nimbly to the next emergency.
All this builds on the research and insights in my book SHORTER: WORK BETTER, SMARTER, AND LESS– HERE’S HOW, that explains how companies around the world were moving to shorter workweeks before the pandemic, and how many companies can shift to 4-day weeks without cutting salaries, sacrificing productivity or profits, or alienating customers.
- In the Financial Times, I argue that the pandemic has reminded us of the power of routines and the need to develop practices suited for the lockdown.
- I look at companies that have moved to 4-day weeks during the pandemic in Fast Company.
- In an article for The Atlantic, I explain how 4-day weeks can help make offices safer and build company resilience.
- In Chief Learning Officer I argue that crises like this can drive positive change in organizations.
- You can read an excerpt from SHORTER in The Guardian.
- In the Wall Street Journal I explain how companies benefit from shorter workweeks, not just employees.
Video and Radio
- On June 18th I was part of a Facebook Live conversation with British Columbia politicians about the 4-day week in Canada.
- I was part of a panel talking about post-COVID work on the June 12 episode of the Better Life Lab “Crisis Conversations,” hosted and facilitated by Brigid Schulte.
- On the June 3 broadcast of the Scott Radley Show, I talk about the 4-day week’s benefits to employers, the economy as a whole, and individuals.
- On TVO’s June 1 2020 broadcast of The Agenda, I talk about the 4-day week and work in Canada.
- On BBC World’s May 28 2020 show, I was on a panel talking about the 4-day week and post-pandemic world. Don’t know if there’s video of it somewhere, though.
- On BBC5 Radio’s Wake Up to Money May 29 2020 show, I talk about the 4-day week. The segment starts around 44:00 (the audio will be available through June).
- I contributed a short piece to Penguin Connect’s video series around the question, “What does the future of work look like?”